Nest plant selection of the Andaman Crake Rallina canning, Andaman Islands, India

Main Article Content

N. Ezhilarasi
L. Vijayan


A study was conducted on the nesting preference of Andaman Crake, a rare and endemic bird of the Andaman Island, on 151 plants belonging to 21 species and 12 families during the year 2004-2005, at Pathilevel, North Andaman. A total of 155 nests was recorded. Four plant species contributed 72.12%of the nest trees, the rest 27.88%. The Andaman Crake preferred five species, namely Tetrameles nudiflora (E = 0.84), Pterocarpus dalbergioides (E = 0.63), Terminalia bialata (E = 0.53), Pterygota alata (E = 0.83), and Celtis timorensis (E = 0.68), of which the first two were most preferred. It is possible that the Andaman Crake may prefer the architectural disposition of the trees with large buttresses to locate their nests.

Article Details